11.13.2009

O, for a thousand tongues to sing!

I love Phil Wickham's music. His song "Beautiful" just came on. Here are the lyrics:


I see Your face in every sunrise
The colors of the morning are inside Your eyes
The world awakens in the light of the day
I look up to the sky and say
You're beautiful

I see Your power in the moonlit night
Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright
We are amazed in the   light of the stars
It's all proclaiming who you are
You're beautiful

I see you there hanging on a tree
You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me
Now you are sitting on Your heavenly throne
Soon we will be coming home
You're beautiful

When we arrive at eternity's shore
Where death is just a memory and tears are no more
We'll enter in as the wedding bells ring
Your bride will come together and we'll sing
You're beautiful

I see Your face, I see Your face, I see Your face
You're beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautiful


That's all I need when I lose track of where I am and where I'm going. Right there.
That's when I know that my God is good, that He is powerful, and that He is beautiful. That's why I struggle so much when I'm not outside in places where His creation is so overwhelming. That's why I struggle when His beauty is not displayed in the faces of the people around me, even though they claim Him. 


And I'm no better than they. I am so judgmental. Just because I have the gift (sometimes it's a burden) of being able to imagine a much better world of love, peace, and beauty, and knowledge doesn't mean I have the right to be angry with (or pity) those who don't. I just wish they could see as I do. It's a beautiful sight, even when it makes my heart cry that it's not what I see when I open my eyes.


I don't want to start a fight, or an argument, or an emotional discussion. I want people to understand that every human has a soul. And every soul is a creation of the Father. And that Father hurts for those who don't know that He is their father. And these fatherless don't deserve our anger, our weapons, our hurtful glances and words, our apathy, our selfishness, our blame, or our criticism. 

Not from us, who were once them. Who were once deserving (and still are) of the total wrath of God, just as they are. How quickly we forget from whence we came. 

Such wrath they will endure if we do not reach out and pull them from danger. In order to pull someone from danger into safety, you have to go into, or at least near, the danger yourself. But what are we afraid of? No one can harm us. They can take our comfortable, opulent lifestyles; they can take our rights; they can take our Bibles; they can take our houses; they can even take our lives (but not our SOULS). But isn't it worth it!?!?! Aren't they worth it? 


I think so. Call me liberal. Call me stupid, ignorant, idealistic. I don't care.


Because if you do, you would probably call Jesus that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment